2016 Sapling Fund Grants
- The Coffee Oasis $3,500 The Coffee Oasis serves homeless youth in Kitsap County through job training, drop-in centers, and a shelter.
- Covenant House Crossing Bridges $7,000 Through Crossing Bridges, homeless youth learn interpersonal skills, cognitive skills, and emotional coping skills during a month long program in which they are mentored by Broadway artists and professional teachers.
- Get Lit/Words Ignite $5,000 Get Lit - Words Ignite is a nationally recognized organization designed to reach at-risk teens, stem dropout rates, and spark increased literacy among youth in Los Angeles. The Get Lit model introduces youth to classic poems, allows them to “claim” the poems that resonate most, and invites them to write an original spoken word response to the poem’s themes.
- Honoka'a High School Agriculture Program $2,500 Honoka’a High School runs a school garden that provides food for the local community and teaches students about sustainable agriculture. By working in the school garden, students gain job skills and learn about nutrition and environmental sustainability.
- Kona Kai Coffee $7,000 Kona Kai Coffee provides disadvantaged young adults with job and life-skills training, while also offering wrap-around services.
- Sammamish/Issaquah Young Life Capernaum $7,000 Young Life Capernaum aims to build relationships with and community among young people with disabilities.
- Dream Project - University of Washington Foundation $3,500 The Dream Project works to close the opportunity gap that exists for low-income, first-generation students attempting to navigate the college application process.
- Youth Build Providence $5,000 Youth Build Providence provides alternative education, mentoring, wrap-around support and vocational training to young people who are at-risk of dropping out, becoming involved with gangs, or failing to find meaningful employment.
- Youth Care - Education and Employment Program $7,000 The program provides tutoring and GED classesand four different job-readiness programs that provide occupational training and support services to homeless youth.